Just need to talk?
UK: Childline on
US: Trevor Project on
866 488 7386
Too Much To Ask?
My Gay Rights Bill
Original Author Unknown. Found at Nathan's Site (now offline).
- I have the right to respect myself from birth onwards and not to suffer for years until I gain the courage to do so--if I gain that courage, if the world around me allows me that courage.
- I have the right to look fabulous.
- I have the right to be bitter and angry.
- I have the right to say "NO", and the right to say "YES!" even if that "YES!" happens to clash with your particular version of morality.
- I have the right to overachieve as a result of being made to feel inadequate by an unloving society.
- I have the right to call me a faggot, but you don't.
- I have the right to ask for emotional support, or to keep it inside until I explode.
- I have the right to mince and the right not to mince.
- I have the right to talk about my sex life just as much as you talk about your straight sex life.
- I have the right to my opinion on your sexual orientation even if you are unwilling to admit your own true inclinations.
- I have the right to walk home without being beaten.
- I have the right to my home and my job, even after my employer or landlord finds out that I sleep with men.
- I have the right to my home or job even if I test HIV positive.
- I have the right to make a living either as an interior decorator or as a garage mechanic--or as anything in between.
- I have the right to see my children from a previous heterosexual relationship or have children in a homosexual relationship.
- I have the right to create a home with another man and to all the protections and privileges that straight people get when they do the same thing.
- I have the right to flaunt it whether this amounts to getting married to another man on television or just holding hands at lunch.
- I have the right to tell you when you are being homophobic.
- I have the right know my own history and my gay elders, who they were and what they did for themselves and for me.
- I have the right to many, many more things that the straight world takes for granted but most of all I have the right to be me.
Last 15 mins: 14 guests, 1 member: dancerkayla
Above all else, QA should be a friendly community. Contact us when our Terms are broken.
Events and promos
The Official QA Blog