Auto-login (2 weeks)
register now!
forgot your details?

Just need to talk?

UK: Childline on
0800 1111

US: Trevor Project on
866 488 7386

Mainpage QA Forums Queer Thinking Topic: In 29 States, LGBT Can Be Refused Service?!

Topic: In 29 States, LGBT Can Be Refused Service?!

Back to Topics Register
< Previous   |   Pages: 1 2 3   |   Next >
ModNotes
:: Moderator
See also: Operation Equality Tx petition #1
:: omfgCarly
:: QA6 Livin' it up!
Though I live in America, ive never heard of this before seeing this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhl9MLno424
 New Window

For those of you who dont live in the states, we have a show called 'What Would You Do?" And basically, they get actors to do certian things to see how the public around them would react.

Anyway, im sure some of you guys have seen the video, I actually found it on QA's facebook page. But when I saw it said that in 29 states, its legal for resturants to not allow service to gays, it almost made me want to cry. That truly is horrible.

So I looked it up and found that I am actually living in a state where this is legal. I found this list of the states:

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
Colorado
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Michigan
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
North Carolina
Ohio
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
West Virginia
Wyoming

Honestly, I was depressed as it is and im pissed off now too, for now, im speechless but im sure ill come back on this later on and rant. xP

What do you guys have to say about this whole thing?
:: SadieJayy
:: QA4 A spot of tea please, Alfred!
That is so- Ugh! Like really? That's rediculous.

*scans down through the list.*
Errg. Stupid Missouri. =/
M Send M a private message
:: Emms
:: QA9 Grand Elder
M is on a mission, indefinitely [Avatar]
thats is totally insain... And child like.. Are they serious?! It's stupid... because all they get out of it is a lower income... and an emptier returaunt...
A Life lived in fear is a life half lived...
:: Music_Lover011
:: QA5 Having the neighbours round
I live in Alabama, and I really don't doubt it. Although, I will say a funny story about the opposite of this. So there's a pizza place in town, and two gay men are the owners and they work there. One day this important person from the church comes in there and sits there to eat. Everyone in town knows that the owners are gay. So one of the guys, Juan, comes up to him, takes his order, and as he's walking away, the church guy goes "Thanks, fag!". He kept saying negative comments and stuff about gay and lesbians(Cause I was there, and so were a few bi girls) and finally, Gary, the other gay guy comes out from the kicthen, asks the guy to leave. Guy says no. Gary tells him again, and the church guy says "No, get out of my face you f****ing fag!", so Gary calls in a favor from the police, and they kick him out. Church guy hasn't come in since lol.
"Don't Be A Drag, Just Be A Queen" - Lady Gaga

"They Who Dream By Day Are Cognizant of Many Things Which Escape Those Who Dream Only By Night." - Edgar Allen Poe

"Beauty Looks Not With The Eyes, But With The Mind." - Shakespeare
:: Homunculus
Over half of the United States?!Emoticon: Gasp :o
"From a tiny sprout, the greatest trees grow and flourish. May the seeds of your mind be equally fruitful."
Elvish Visionary(M13)
:: Tiwaz87
Blah. Missouri, why am I not surprised?
:: Elicitthought
California isn't on the list, but it's still sad there are so many other states that would do that...
l Send l a private message
:: technobecian
Darn Missouri.

And the video made me cry. Like, in a good way.
:: sourkangaroo
:: QA8 High Householder
Come on. I live in Virginia, and I totally expected that. But I love West Virginia!
Wake up!
Look down!
Hear my prayer
Don't single me out
And then forget me...

"Things went wrong in the old forest too. You can't expect life to be all mice and moonlight."
:: skinnyjeanss
Oliver is having fun., indefinitely [Avatar]
I'm really glad that New Jersey isn't on the list. But still, I had never heard of this law before.

Silverrr Emoticon: Rainbow Pride (p)
I like my beer cold, my TV loud, and my homosexuals flaming. ~Matt Groening, The Simpsons (Homer)
:: Serenade9167
:: QA10 Community Goddess
Michelle is thinking about her immense attraction to a certain girl in her college....., indefinitely [Avatar]
ugh. Indiana. So not suprising.
:: Crystalyn1993
:: QA3 Getting cosy
Michigan is on that list :[ but where I live everybody is so accepting I don't think people here even know they could refuse even if they wanted to.
:: Spaught
:: QA7 Taking responsibility
This is obviously an outdated law and something that isn't practiced widely, or even in a few restaurants. I think if it was, this wouldn't be the first I was hearing of it.

Sure, it's disappointing, but I don't think it's used.
:: PensiveFruit
That's sick...and Ohio is one of the states...Gah. I'm going to dress in all rainbow clothing and go into every restaurant/cafe in the state and if someone dares to refuse me service, I'll make sure they get sued for it. How is that even constitutional?? What the HELL?
~FEAR THE VAMPIRE~

(she likes giving out random cookies...)

<3
:: omfgCarly
@Courtney No, I know its an out dated law and isnt really used, but it still pisses me off. They should do something about it...
:: Ellie_Clair
Mandy Is taking a break, indefinitely [Avatar]
Forget them! I will personally go into those states and wave rainbows!!! I live in MD, but they can still refuse to employ lgbt people
**Mandy**
:: benjn
Wow. There really should be a law against that. I am going to go to those states dressed as a rainbow, and insist to be served at every restaurant in the state, just for the fun of it. Emoticon: Smile :)

Did you know that until only about fifteen years ago it was legal for a man to rape his wife in the UK? Emoticon: Gasp :o
"Be what you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr Seuss
  Edit: benjn, Tue 7 Jun 11, 9:01PM
:: Jyou
Ugh. North Carolina. It's kind of strange though, because a lot of people around here don't really care that much if you're gay...but I live near Charlotte, so that's probably why.
:: HonestToBlog
:: QA3 Getting cosy
And you can add this to the list of reasons why I plan on living in Europe when I grow up...
I'm a hot little potato right now.
:: Kap33
I am shocked that Ohio is on the list. I mean there is a lot of lgbt people here. WTF! we even have the gay softball tourny, im shocked
< Previous   |   Pages: 1 2 3   |   Next >
Back to Topics Register
LIKE THIS PAGE