Auto-login (2 weeks)
register now!
forgot your details?

Just need to talk?

UK: Childline on
0800 1111

US: Trevor Project on
866 488 7386

Mainpage » QA Forums » Queer Thinking » Topic: Should/Do your clothes define you?

Topic: Should/Do your clothes define you?

Back to Topics Register
< Previous   |   Pages: 1   |   Next >
:: Hipkik
:: QA6 Livin' it up!
Clothes, Fashion, and Styles are all unique and not everyone can pull everything off, so how do you feel in your clothes? Does it complement your personality or views? Do you label when you see how others are dressed? Just tell everyone how you feel about clothes in general Emoticon: Smile :)
:: Lynn
:: QA10 Community Goddess
lynn is finally changing her profile for a fortnight [Avatar]
Well define me not so much... maybe like... Shadow my personailty? XD I dress in ties and wrist bands, band shirts, flannles, cargos, or skinneys. Hahahaha, it shows how much of a tom-boy and indie band enthusiast I am. I feel more confident in the clothes I wear cause it does reflect on me. I am labled emo/skater/rocker/indie usually. Usually people can't tell from what I wear what a huge nerd I am. Usually my brain doesn't really lable on how people dress but more by how people interact and talk.
Hate leaves ugly scars, love leaves beautiful ones. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotic's Notebook, 1966

Love is the poetry of the senses. ~Honoré de Balzac
back in middle school I used to dress in oversized clothes and it really didn't fit my personality but now I guess I'd be labeled as a prep--nice clothes from belk,aero,hollister, and places like that. I don't think it defines me as much as it gives people a peak as to who I am....but I do have to say I am very guilty of over scrutinizing how people dress and I hate when it doesn't fit them, like the blackboy/girl-whiteboy/girl--they dress similar to me but are the ghetto thuggish people
:: lena
:: QA10 Community God
I get really annoyed with clothing sometimes. I'm a tomboy usually, but I'm also really short and not so skinny, so the look doesn't exactly suit me. My face is also waaay to femme to pull off fully androgynous, and curly hair short is always super bouncy. Not exactly butch.

I want to look a certain way, and make myself comfortable, but I feel like the clothing I own doesn't exactly suit me personality. I just wear really simple outfits. Tight or baggy jeans, with lose t-shirts and vests. Sometimes nerdy shirts of band shirts.
I've been thinking about hell, and it's got to be a much nicer place than heaven... all the gay men are down there. You KNOW it's well decorated.

If being gay is a disease, lets all call in queer to work. "Sorry, cannot come to work today, still queer".

Real Lord of the Rings fans know it's not a trilogy.
:: DeSade
:: QA9 Grand Elder
No, my clothes don't define me. I don't think clothing truly defines anyone, unless they're entirely vapid and superficial.

But yes, of course my clothes are a slight reflection of my personality. I wear a lot of ironic t-shirts to compliment my ironic sense of humor, basically all my clothes are super comfortable seeing as I don't think wearing anything uncomfortable for the sake of appearance is really worth it, and in general people see me and think "there goes that liberal nerd", which is pretty damn accurate.

I make judgments based on peoples appearances. Anyone who says they don't is full of shit. But I also keep in mind that those judgments can be dead wrong, and navigating the world based on appearance alone is a harmful and stupid thing to do.
Emmett: What kind of homosexual are you?
Brian: The kind that fucks men.

- Queer As Folk
:: satanicLES
:: QA8 High Householder
i feel comfortable and unique in my clothes.and yes,i think they define me a little bit.i'm goth and almost everyone who doesn't know me think that i'm bad person,depressive and blah blah.but i'm not!well sometimes,but who's not? Emoticon: Smile :)
Do i label when i see how others are dressed?Hmmm...Sometimes Emoticon: Grin :D
"In the night
Come to me
You know I want your Touch of Evil
In the night
Please set me free
I can't resist a Touch of Evil"
:: smallfish
i second lena.
i know what style i'd like to wear to represent my personality better, but my body shape won't be able to pull it off. jeans or knee length shorts and t-shirts are my day to day attire.
i hate clothes and shopping because i can never find anything i like that i would be able to pull off.
I thought I smelled cookies wafting from the ovens of the little elves who live in your hair.
:: Jospah
:: QA5 Having the neighbours round
I NEVER wear T shrts or hooded jumpers. I hate them.

I always wear button up shirts because im skinny enough not to look like a popous twat or some indie bitch.
:: John1279
I only ever wear button ups. People tell me I look like a lumberjack Emoticon: Smile :)
Some of you that think they couldn't pull some of these clothes off should really try them on first! One thing I will say is I hate wearing polos now, I have mostly vnecks and t-shirts, haven't tried button ups yet....
:: smiths7
:: QA4 A spot of tea please, Alfred!
Charlie is back!, indefinitely [Avatar]
if you steroetpyed me and didnt know the whole of my personality and you saw my closet, yeah then youd think it would complement my personality. (i have been given a lot of flannel, which i keep as a joke Emoticon: Tongue :p)

but when i go out, i usually wear a lot of shirts and vests and ties, or crazy colourful tights, or rainbow necklaces, clothes, badgeds, or anything indy, chucking in the odd dress and tights. so i guess it shows who i am and who i want to be.
"What difference does it make?" - The Smiths

"Anita Bryant like Anita hole in the head"

"For a long time I thought I wanted to be a nun. Then I realized that what I really wanted to be was a lesbian." - Mabel Maney
:: Joel
Ill take my jeans any of my hundred black metal t-shirts and my beloved Dimmu Borgir sweatshirt over anything any day.
If nothing else in this fucked up world makes sense to you listen to my words. Let me comfort and empower you it is alright to rest your head. The world-weary turn to me, the broken, the beaten, the enslaved, the free, the outcast's of society and it's leaders. I showed them my way those who listened well understand my plan.
Become Part Of My Machine
:: DarkBlaze13
:: QA10 Community God
Sam keeps falling more and more in love, indefinitely [Avatar]
They don't...define me.
Do they reflect my personality?
Eh...maybe xp
I'm not quite sure.
I guess they kinda have to. I mean, there's gotta be some reason I picked out the things I did (though I will admit there are several things I have just because I didn't care, and hey, they fit haha).

Black button-up, tie, and jeans. Yay :3
Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi

That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons even death may die.

98% of teenagers drink or have been around alcohol. Paste this if you like muffins.
:: Meganwho?-ohme
:: QA9 Grand Elder
Not really. I wish they did though. I wish i had a new wardob. But idk what looks good on me. Sometimes i wear things and i see a picture of it and i'm like, "why the heck did they let me ware that?" lol.
I like clothes, but i don't really have much that defines me. And anything that might never looks good on me. I wnna try tho.
:: connectthedots
In general my clothes don't define me, but they reflect my mood. I'm more likely to wear dark colours on a bad day.
Only the dead stay seventeen forever.
:: worrymuffin
i thikn there are some people who try too hard to wear something that defines them, but personally, I just wear whatever i feel comfy in at the time (and whatever's been washed - that usually helps)
That word "lesbian" sounds like a disease. And straight men know because they're sure that they're the cure

I'm Gay - Don't Worry It's Not Contagious

I'm here if ya ever wanna talk... that goes for everyone here... (pm me)
:: redsox203
:: QA10 Community Goddess
Half the time I dress like a bum, so I sure hope that doesn't define me. In a sense my clothes tend to reflect my mood, not so much my personality.
Should they? Na. Clothes are clothes, and i've always seen them that way. I've spent a good majority of my life in t-shirts.
I have no idea what to say here.
Lalalalala
:: D4RUD3
:: QA2 Settling in
Robert You can look up, I'll never come down, boy I tap dance on clouds, indefinitely [Avatar]
I don't let silly things like that define me; rather I express my way and sense (or lack there of) style. I dress upon my mood which usually is shorts and a tee shirt or khaki pants and a long sleeved tee shirt. Emoticon: Smile :)
-- I'm super-cut-lery-leaner-ali-docious --
:: TruthIsEvil
In a way they do... For example, I dress to express my mood. Today I felt really childish and happy, so I wore really bright and colourful clothes and some wacky shizz, like a necklace I made from a spork and a shoelace. Lol. It's just what I'm drawn to when I'm in that mood, and if I don't dress to fit my mood, then I feel a bit like I've worn a pink thong bikini to a funeral.

(Not that I know what that's like...)

I see clothing as temporary body art, and although I don't have loads of clothes, most of my clothes have symbolic meaning to me which I interpret in a myriad of ways.

However, my clothing doesn't define me - at most, it can almost scratch the surface of who I am, and I certainly wouldn't want someone to decide who I am just by looking at what I'm wearing, and I do my best not to judge anybody else by their appearance, either.
< Previous   |   Pages: 1   |   Next >
Back to Topics Register
LIKE THIS PAGE